Sister Anne Becker, SSND
From St. Michael MN • First profession: July 21, 1954
Retired from active duty; now in residence at Our Lady of Good Counsel in Mankato.
Sister Anne has blessed Saint Matthew both as an elementary teacher and as a pastoral minister.
Sister Anne taught at the school in the 1970s and takes pride in defeating Tom Smith [future head of Saint Paul Police Department] in an arm-wrestling contest.
Sister Anne returned as a pastoral minister and musician during these last many years. She has kept the SSND presence and charism alive at St. Matt’s.
With her retirement, Saint Matthew’s will be without the School Sisters of Notre Dame for the first time in 134 years!! We thank each and every sister who has ministered here for those many years!
Sister Anne grew up in Saint Michael MN and had SSND teachers during her grade school.
She went to Good Counsel [Mankato] for high school and then joined the religious community.
The Becker extended family has always been very important for her, especially all of her brothers.
Please send her your letter of congrats and thanks: 170 Good Counsel Drive. Mankato, MN 56001.
Some of the many ways she was present:
- taught weekly with the children in faith formation
- played the piano for weekend worship
- provided catechesis at Community of Saints
- was liaison to St. Mary’s Health Clinic
- brought out her accordion at any time
- was passionate about “earth care”
- was a member of the pastoral council
- led the “pie and ice cream” booth
- lived the SSND charisms without fail